Tony T. Yarber was born on March 17, 1978, in Jackson, Mississippi. Yarber is a product of Jackson Public Schools, the University of Southern Mississippi (bachelors), and Jackson State University (masters). He is a pastor, educator, author, and transformational leader that has committed his life to public service. In 2009, Yarber became City Councilman for Ward 6 in the city of Jackson. In April of 2014, Yarber became the youngest mayor elected in the capital city of Mississippi. He is married to Rosalind Neal Yarber and the father of three amazing children: Carmen, Cameron, and Toni Michelle.
My dream has always been to affect positive change in the lives of people. - Mayor Yarber
Born to George and Deloris Yarber, Tony T. Yarber was raised in subdivision #2 in the Westside community of Jackson. With the support of his parents, Yarber graduated Forest Hill High School and successfully completed studies at the University of Southern Mississippi. Feeding his passion to teach and empower, Yarber found work in the public school system while completing his Master’s degree from Jackson State University.
After the completion of his Master’s degree, Yarber advanced his career in the school system and became a principal. In 2009, Yarber’s career in education, progressive mindset, and leadership ability helped him become the city councilman for Ward 6. Starting a church in his ward, Yarber took a holistic vantage point towards making his community better. Through his advocacy in the community, Yarber was able to celebrate progressive successes as the ward 6 councilman. In April of 2014, Yarber – the pastor, educator, author, and transformational leader – was elected the youngest mayor to ever be elected in the city of Jackson, Mississippi.
My motto in life has always been the same. To be better today than I was yesterday. - Mayor Yarber
Mayor of Jackson
Yarber took over the Mayor’s seat in April of 2014. Mayor Yarber is an innovative mayor striving to deliver a better Jackson for the generations to come. With the launching of his, “I Need You To Make It” Youth Initiative, Yarber has pinpointed programming that affects our youth in a three key areas: character building, health awareness, and educational aptitude. His passion for early childhood literacy is clearly shown through programs such as Project Reads – which focuses on cultivating literacy skills throughout the city’s early childcare facilities. With the launching of his Open Data initiative, which touts an open data portal, performance management dashboards, capital projects explorer, and a financial transparency application, Jackson has quickly climbed the ranks as one of the most innovative, progressive cities in the country. As Mayor of Jackson, He continues to push the priorities of public safety, data-driven decision making, youth engagement, economic prosperity, and infrastructure development.
- Recognized as “Rising Political Star” by MSNBC
- 2nd Vice President of the African-American Mayors Association
- Co-Chair of Alignment Jackson, a non-profit education collaborative
- Advisory Board: Hinds Community College M2M
- Advisory Board: Hinds Community College DORA (Dropout Recovery Advisory Board)
- Founder/Pastor of Relevant Empowerment Church
- MS Conference of Black Mayors-Member
- MS Black Caucus of Local Elected Officials-Former President
- US Conference of Mayors-Water Council Member
- African-American Mayors Association Board Member
- Author, Man Tips
- Honorary Doctorate of Laws- Belhaven University
- Recognized as a Generational Foot Soldier
- Recognized as "Young, Gifted, and Talented" Leadership
- Central Mississippi Mayors Association - Member
- Century Club Charities - Member
- MS State Department of Health Advisory Committee
- Graduate – Millsaps Principal Institute
- Coach (Track & Football) – Forest Hill High School
- Top 100 Most Innovative Leaders in America